Thursday 15 May 2014

Birthday Cakes - Part 2 - Sticky stem ginger cake with lemon icing

I recently made this cake for my Gran’s birthday; a huge lover of ginger cake. In the past I have always ended up with ginger cakes tuning out slightly on the dry side but with this cake, wow, it was so moist and tasty - it’s definitely a winner!

The recipe is listed on BBC Good Food, here.

I mostly followed the recipe spot on except I used semi skimmed milk instead of whole. I also reduced the amount of treacle used and substituted with syrup from the stem ginger instead. The recipe states to grate the drained stem ginger but I just chopped this and added a little extra. I was worried by how wet the combined mixture is and suspected it would leak out of my loose bottom tin, as comments left on the site also mentioned this, so do make sure you have a good tin that doesn’t leak - I placed a tray under my cake tin to catch the few drips and will look to buy a better cake tin soon.

I iced the following morning after baking and the lemon was such a nice contrast to the ginger, it did not last the day! Both my Gran and husband, who is not a keen ginger cake lover, loved this!

Catherine x





No comments:

Post a Comment